The NFL’s biggest game every year is also the biggest annual event in US sports betting.
When the Los Angeles Rams square off against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII Feb. 3, the American Gaming Association (AGA) estimates people in the US will have somewhere near $4.5 billion riding on the outcome of the game.
Where to legally bet on Super Bowl LIII
In the past, the AGA also claimed almost 97 percent the billions bet on the Super Bowl was wagered illegally at offshore online sportsbooks and illegal bookies. However, that’s set to change significantly in 2019 with six states joining Nevada in offering legal sports betting since the middle of 2018.
These states are:
You’ll now find retail sportsbooks offering a variety of easy ways you can bet on Super Bowl LIII in all these states.
Online and mobile Super Bowl betting
Plus, both Nevada and New Jersey have authorized the launch of online and mobile sports betting as well. This allows anyone over 21 to bet on Super Bowl LIII over the internet from wherever they are, as long as it’s inside Nevada or New Jersey state lines.
There are actually 13 online and mobile NJ sports betting operations licensed to take bets in Nevada. These are:
- Atlantis Sports
- B-Connected Sports
- CG Technology
- Golden Nugget
- NV Sports
- STN Sports App
- South Point
- Ti Sports App
- Westgate Superbook
- William Hill
Unfortunately, in order to register for an account with each app, you must first visit the Nevada sportsbook or casino associated with it. Of course, you also have to be inside Nevada to place bets on the Super Bowl online.
Things are much easier in NJ, where you can actually do all kinds of things with mobile and online sportsbooks from out of state. This includes downloading various online and mobile sportsbook apps for your mobile device, registering for an account, and checking the odds on the big game. In fact, the only thing you need to be in NJ for is placing a Super Bowl bet.
There are currently nine online and mobile sportsbooks operating in NJ and they’re all offering various lines on Super Bowl LIII. These are:
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- Caesars Casino & Sports
- SugarHouse Casino & Sportsbook
- 888 Sport
- playMGM Sports
- William Hill
Super Bowl LIII lines
All licensed sportsbooks in the US are currently offering a variety of basic Super Bowl betting lines that are easy to follow. These lines include:
- Moneyline. A bet where you are simply asked to pick the Super Bowl winner. Each team is assigned a price based on how oddsmakers figure they will do.
- Point spread. A bet where you are asked pick a winner with a line set by the oddsmakers factored in. You either take the underdog and the points or the favorite and give them.
- Over/under or total. A bet where you are asked to pick whether the total points scored will be over or under a number set by oddsmakers.
Here’s how the basic lines looked at the top three NJ online sportsbooks one week before Super Bowl LIII:
|Super Bowl LIII||DraftKings Sportsbook||FanDuel Sportsbook||BetStars|
|New England Patriots||PS: -2|
|Los Angeles Rams||PS: +2 |
|PS: +2 |
|PS: +2 .5
Beyond the Super Bowl betting basics
Of course, licensed US sportsbooks will also let you combine two or more basic bets into a parlay. Parlays pay better than individual bets, but you have to win every bet that is a part of it to get paid at all.
Licensed US sportsbooks are also offering a number of Super Bowl LII game and player props the public can bet on. Lines of this nature often include things like:
- Which team will score first?
- Who will score the first touchdown?
- Will the total end up an odd or even number?
- How many touchdowns will Jared Goff throw for?
- How many yards will Tom Brady throw for?
- Will Rams receiver Brandin Cooks have 100+ receiving yards?
- Will Patriots RB Sony Michel run for 75 yards or more?
Sportsbooks across the country will undoubtedly offer different variations of the lines listed above and dozens more Super Bowl LIII game and player props.
The best lines on Super Bowl LIII
If you want to bet on Super Bowl LIII, it’s a good idea to shop around at various legal sportsbooks and find the best prices on the bets that draw your interest.
Here are three lines at various NJ online and mobile sportsbooks that might be worth a second look before kick off:
- On Sunday night, DraftKings Sportsbook announced 63 percent of the Super Bowl bets on the site have been placed on the Patriots so far. It has pushed the point spread from Patriots +1 where it opened to Patriots -2. Keep a close eye on this line to see if it moves any more before game time.
- Those that believe Super Bowl LIII will be a high scoring game should do more than just bet the over at -110. No matter what team you like to win the game, you can get a great price on a parlay with the over. FanDuel Sportsbook has the Patriots win and over 59.5 parlay at +310 and the Rams win and over 59.5 parlay at +380.
- On Sunday night, 888 Sport was offering the Rams at +2.5. That’s a half point more than several others. While it might not seem like much at first glance, a half a point can make all the difference with a point spread bet in a close game.
More of the Super Bowl’s best bets
The following four Super Bowl bets also offer significant value:
- The moneyline bets on both sides at BetStars come with some added value. Make at least a $25 moneyline wager at BetStars and you’ll get a $10 free bet every time the team you bet on gets in the end zone.
- Caesars Casino & Sports has a ton of game and player props available. Rams backers will find the lines on the LA defense shutting down Tom Brady pretty juicy. In fact, Caesars has made it +500 that Brady will throw no touchdown passes. Additionally, it’s +300 that he throws one or fewer.
- 888 Sport has the over/under line set at 56.5, which is a full point less than some other sportsbooks. If you like the over anywhere, like it here first.
- SugarHouse Casino & Sportsbook has the Rams moneyline at +115, which means a Rams win will pay $5 per $100 bet more on SugarHouse than some others.