Arizona’s gambling scene was quite busy during January as the state prepared for hosting the Super Bowl. According to the Arizona Department of Gaming (ADG), Arizona sports betting operators took $591.2 million in bets.
The figure exceeds the $572.4 million reported in December 2022 and $563.7 million in January last year. According to 12News, ADG Director Jackie Johnson said:
“We saw another substantial month of sports betting in Arizona to kick off 2023, with nearly $600 million wagered during January. I look forward to monitoring how wagering progresses throughout the rest of the year.”
Players in the Grand Canyon state gambled $585.4 million through online sportsbooks and $4.7 million using the state’s three retail operators. These are FanDuel, BetMGM and Caesars.
Adjusted gross revenue for the state’s sportsbooks was $46.17 million for January. That’s more than $40.51 million that the state generated in January last year.
FanDuel is the most successful retail operator in Arizona
When it comes to retail sports betting at Arizona casinos, here’s the final rundown:
- FanDuel was the leading sportsbook that took $2.47 million in bets
- BetMGM was second, taking $1.37 million
- Caesars was the third taking $920,773 in bets
This came to a total Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) of $384,407. As the state imposes an 8% tax rate on retail bets, the three AZ operators paid $30,752 in taxes.
FanDuel collects $195.46 million in online Arizona sports bets
As for the Arizona online sportsbook operators, these were the most successful operators in terms of betting handle and revenue:
- FanDuel: $195.46 million in online bets ($14.82 million in revenue)
- DraftKings: $171.43 million in handle ($3,36 million in revenue)
- BetMGM: $89.86 million in bets ($5.47 million in revenue)
- Caesars Sportsbook: $59.20 million ($1.58 million in revenue)
- Penn Sports (Barstool Sportsbook): $20.41 million ($982,309 in revenue)
With a 10% tax rate on AGR, Arizona sports betting operators paid almost $2.9 million ($2,886,502) for their business in January. The figure is up from the $1.95 million paid in January last year.