Two minority-owned off-track betting parlors plan to join the small but growing list of Maryland sports wagering options in 2022.
PointsBet-affiliated Riverboat-on-the-Potomac and Long Shot’s restaurant and bar were recently granted licenses and are in line to eventually join MGM National Harbor, which took the state’s first legal sports bets on Dec. 9, and Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore and Live! Casino & Hotel in Hanover, which followed a day later.
The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission outlined rules to promote minority participation in Maryland’s expanded gambling industry. Furthermore, these licenses have quickly yielded progress.
Both establishments were among the first 17 allowing them to apply for permits. The licenses will be in the multi-tiered Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission process.
Where can I bet on sports in Maryland?
Retail sports betting is the only option in Maryland currently. The debut of Mobile sports betting expects to be in 2022.
Here’s what’s open now:
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill: The sportsbook in the casino near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge flashed its proximity to DC by having former WFT quarterback Joe Theismann make the celebrity first bet. It stands to reason that many Marylanders who might consider wagering there are already packing mobile apps from DC and Virginia on their phones.
- Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore: This casino has a long-standing relationship with the Ravens and is only a 10-minute walk from M&T Stadium. It’s where you go to knock, knock, knock on Caesar’s sportsbook door.
- Live! Casino & Hotel in Hanover: In the burgeoning Cordish brand, this sportsbook digs deep into another Baltimore commuter area, Anne Arundel County. It partners there with FanDuel. (Because you’re wondering: DraftKings doesn’t yet have an announced partner in the state and appears to be waiting for one of the up to 60 mobile-only licenses that will be available).
Licensed Maryland sportsbooks that aren’t taking bets yet
- Hollywood Casino in Perryville: According to its website, the venue will begin writing tickets on Dec. 23. Furthermore, leaving plenty of time for folks in the Baltimore suburb not to bet on the Terps in the Pinstripe Bowl. The sportsbook affiliates itself with Barstool.
- Ocean Downs Casino in Berlin: Betting for the beach-goers, who are sparse this time of year. Sports betting could begin as early as Dec. 17 on the Eastern Shore under the TwinSpires brand.
Long Shot’s and Riverboat-on-the-Potomac showcase Maryland’s diverse approach
Long Shot’s, a Frederick OTB, is owned by Alyse Cohen. In addition, making it the first entirely owned by a female to attain a sports betting license. It would also be the only legal outlet in the Baltimore District of Columbia exurb of Frederick County.
“As the only 100 percent woman[-]owned applicant, I am very proud to pave the way for a truly underrepresented group in Maryland gaming and business in general,” Cohen told the Frederick News-Post.
Riverboat-on-the-Potomac is also completely minority-owned and is one of four Maryland OTBs.
“We are proud to be partnering with a giant that understands and believes in the value of inclusiveness in every facet of the industry, from the owners to the bettors,” Winston DeLattiboudere, Co-Managing Member of the Riverboat Group, said in a statement.
“Moreover, I am so grateful to the Maryland General Assembly. Who have passed legislation which helped to make this enormous opportunity a reality. We look forward to a future filled with phenomenal successes not only for our partners but for the citizens of Maryland and their communities.”
Added PointsBet USA CEO Johnny Aitken:
“With terrific partners in The Riverboat on the Potomac, PointsBet is thrilled to begin the process toward offering the passionate, sports-loving community of Maryland with the fastest and most differentiated sports betting product across every customer touchpoint. We look forward to quickly and responsibly introducing sports bettors to the newly legalized competitive advantages. In addition, PointsBet possesses in owning our technology end-to-end. An example such as market-leading ease of use and the deepest slate of betting options available in the world.”