To Top

Oklahoma Sports Betting Will Have To Wait Another Year

A bill to legalize Oklahoma sports betting fails in the Senate. Bill author Rep. Ken Luttrell expects to reintroduce legislation next year.

Sports Betting Bill in Oklahoma Tries, Fails Senate
Photo by PlayUSA
Nicholaus Garcia Avatar
2 mins read

In a stunning upset, the Oklahoma gambling bill that would have legalized retail and online sports betting failed to get out of the Senate committee.

According to bill author Rep. Ken Luttrell, one reason the bill failed was the lack of conversations between tribal leaders and the governor. 

Oklahoma sports betting bill fails

On March 24, House Bill 1027 passed through the House by a 66-26 vote. At the time, Luttrell was optimistic the bill could reach the governor’s desk. 

Speaking with KOCO 5, Luttrell said:

“My colleagues saw the advantage, the economic advantage to this, the restoration of tribal-legislative relations. We feel that this is a win-win and something that the governor can get behind and something that Senator Coleman can work on getting the Senate behind also.”

Unfortunately, Oklahoma residents looking to place bets on their favorite sports teams must continue waiting. 

Sports betting bill specifics

Under HB 1027, Oklahoma tribes would have been allowed to offer online and in-person sports betting. Luttrell said allowing tribes to conduct sports betting “levels the playing field” for Oklahoma’s tribal gaming partners.

Tribes would have first needed to amend their gaming compacts with the state and be subject to specific fees. Under OK sports betting regulations, the state would have collected:

  • 4% of the first $5 million of monthly net win
  • 5% of the next $5 million of adjusted gross revenue – total receipts minus monetary pay-outs
  • 6% of the total adjusted gross revenue from sports betting each year

Of the money generated, 12% would have gone to the General Revenue Fund. The remaining 88% would have gone toward the Education Reform Revolving Fund

According to Enid News, Luttrell said putting sports betting regulations in place is a responsibility lawmakers must undertake. “More than an economic engine and an economic reason, it’s also part of the responsibility that we have to our citizens to put some regulations in place on an unregulated, illegal industry and put some guidelines in place and partner with our tribal partners to present responsible gaming.”

Luttrell told KOCO 5 he would reintroduce a bill next session and try once more to legalize sports betting in Oklahoma. 

Nicholaus Garcia Avatar
Written by

Nick Garcia is a senior reporter for PlayUSA. Garcia provides analysis and in-depth coverage of the gambling industry with a key focus on online casinos, sports betting and financial markets. Garcia has been covering the US gambling market since 2017. He attended Texas Tech University as an undergrad and received a Master of Arts in Journalism from Columbia College Chicago.

View all posts by Nicholaus Garcia

Nick Garcia is a senior reporter for PlayUSA. Garcia provides analysis and in-depth coverage of the gambling industry with a key focus on online casinos, sports betting and financial markets. Garcia has been covering the US gambling market since 2017. He attended Texas Tech University as an undergrad and received a Master of Arts in Journalism from Columbia College Chicago.

Privacy Policy