Blue Chip Casino
Blue Chip is an award-winning riverboat casino located on the banks of Trail Creek in Michigan City, Indiana, owned and operated by Boyd Gaming. The venue is an hour east of Chicago and a single mile from Lake Michigan, making it a premium gaming destination for visitors from Illinois, Michigan, and Indiana.
The modern casino complex started as a three-level riverboat casino in 1997. From there, it grew to 65,000 square feet of casino space featuring over 1,900 slot machines and around 40 table games.
The distinguishing 22-story Blue Chip Tower is the largest building in Michigan City and a part of a 486-room hotel on the premises equipped with a 10,000-square-foot spa, an indoor pool, a gym, and additional amenities.
Under the partnership agreement Boyd Gaming signed with the FanDuel Group back in 2018, the sports betting giant opened a retail sportsbook on the premises in September 2019, followed by a sports betting app for Indiana a month later.
Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa is open 24/7 to all visitors 21 or older.
Blue Chip Casino details
- Name: Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
- Address: 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City, IN 46360
- Phone number: 888-879-7711 (toll free); 219-879-7711
- Hours of operation: 24/7
- Available games: 1,900 slots and video poker machines, 40 table games, retail sportsbook
Blue Chip Casino gaming specs
|Blue Chip Casino
|Blackjack, 21+3 with Top 3
|Yes, FanDuel Sportsbook
|Yes, through the Boyd Rewards loyalty program
|William B's Steakhouse, The Game, Nelson's Deli
|Rocks Lounge, Starburst Event Center
Blue Chip Casino slot machines
Blue Chip Casino is home to over 1,900 slot machines with denominations ranging from a penny to $100, capable of catering to both slot enthusiasts and high rollers alike. The games are from some of the top names in the industry, including Aristocrat, Everi, and IGT. The casino’s slot search allows you to browse the entire catalog beforehand and see if your favorite games are on the casino floor and exactly where.
In 2021, in partnership with Sightline Payments and Aristocrat Technologies, Boyd Gaming launched a new digital cashless system that allows Blue Chip Casino patrons to use their digital cash directly on slot machines.
- 88 Fortunes — This is an Asian-themed classic from Light & Wonder, formerly known as Scientific Games. It’s a five-reel slot with a max bet of 880 credits and four levels of Fu Bat progressive jackpot. The game includes a free spins feature that provides up to 10 free games with a multiplier of up to 88x. Matching three Fu Babies from 12 lucky coin symbols in the Fu Bat Jackpot feature will result in the payout of a corresponding jackpot.
- Zeus — Zeus is a five-reel and 30-payline progressive jackpot slot from WMS with a theme based on Greek mythology and a free spins bonus game where players can win up to 100 free games by landing five scatter symbols on the payline. The game is of medium volatility with a return-to-player rate of 95.21%.
- Double Diamond — This IGT game is a true casino classic with only three reels and a single payline. The game’s main symbols are cherries, gold bars, red sevens, and the double diamond (the game’s most rewarding symbol), with the potential of bringing payouts worth 1,000x your bet.
- Triple Strike — Another title on IGT’s famed S2000 cabinet featuring “reel slot” games, this is a classic with three reels and a single payline where if you land three triple sevens, you’ll be looking at a jackpot of 12,000 credits.
- Golden Wins — Golden Wins is an AGS slot with 5 reels and 243 ways to make a winning combo thanks to the PowerXStream pay mechanic. The Da Ji Da Li multi-linked progressive jackpot becomes available through a randomly activated jackpot game where you need to collect three fu baby symbols for a guaranteed payout. Another special feature in Golden Wins is the free spins bonus triggered with the help of scatter symbols.
Blue Chip Casino table games
Blue Chip Casino in Michigan City offers 40 tables with a variety of games, including blackjack, roulette, baccarat, craps, and casino poker. On weekdays, tables open at 10 a.m., and they’re two hours earlier on weekends. The list of games you can expect is as follows:
- Mississippi Stud Progressive
- Three Card Poker Progressive
- Caribbean Stud
- 21+3 with Top 3
- Mini Baccarat
- High Card Flush
- Heads Up Hold’em
The casino floor offers progressive jackpots for Caribbean Stud, Three Card Poker, and other casino poker games under the license of SHFL Entertainment.
Does Blue Chip Casino offer an online casino in Indiana?
Online casinos are not legal in Indiana, so the only legal IN online gambling option remains sports betting. However, Boyd Gaming — which runs Blue Chip Casino — also offers the Stardust Social Casino, where you can play many of the slots from Blue Chip Casino’s floor for free, no matter where you are. Authentic games with actual game models and payouts become available regularly, allowing you to accrue Boyd points and tier credits from in-app purchases.
Does Blue Chip Casino offer a sportsbook in Indiana?
Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa saw the opening of a FanDuel retail sportsbook on Sept. 5, 2019. Football Hall of Famer Brian Urlacher placed the first wager, hours ahead of the start of the 2019-20 NFL season.
The FanDuel sportsbook is located to the left of the casino entrance and occupies 2,730 square feet of space. The sportsbook has five betting windows, 10 self-service betting kiosks, two sports tickers, and 22 TV screens where you can watch the games live.
FanDuel also launched a sportsbook app in Indiana on Oct. 22, 2019, making the Hoosier State the fourth to host a FanDuel app in the United States.
Blue Chip Casino rewards program
Blue Chip Casino customers can participate in Boyd Rewards, a five-tier loyalty program available in 28 Boyd Gaming casinos across 10 states. To register, you must visit the Boyd Rewards Players Club booth, present a government-issued non-expired ID and complete the membership form.
The Boyd Rewards program allows you to earn tier credits and Boyd points and redeem them for free slots and table play, food, discounts on hotel stays, VIP lounge access, birthday rewards, and other benefits. The higher you get in tiers, the better the prizes get, potentially including stays in Las Vegas and cruises.
Your awarded tier membership depends on the tier credits you have accumulated throughout the year:
- Ruby: 0-749 tier credits
- Sapphire: 750-14,999 tier credits
- Emerald: 15,000-49,999 tier credits
- Onyx: 50,000-199,999 tier credits
- Titanium: 200,000+ tier credits
How do you earn points at Blue Chip Casino?
Boyd Rewards program members earn tier credits and Boyd points based on their gameplay. While earning tier credits that have no monetary value and serve only to help you reach higher levels of the program is available from the moment you join the loyalty program, earning Boyd points is only possible once you have achieved Sapphire status.
Every $5 you wager on slots and keno machines will earn you one tier credit, whereas the number of tier credits you earn on video poker and table games is based on the game, denomination and average time you spend playing.
Every $1 you wager on slots and keno machines will count toward one Boyd point. If you are playing table games and video poker machines, you’ll need to stake $2 for one Boyd point.
Can you get free play at Blue Chip Casino?
Absolutely. You can redeem Boyd points for free play, with 1,000 Boyd points worth $1 in free play. Also, free play is available through various daily and weekly promotions the casino may run.
All Indiana casino reviews
Blue Chip Casino history and current owners
The Indiana Gaming Commission issued a certificate of suitability for a riverboat owner’s license for Blue Chip Casino on April 17, 1996, and the venue opened on Aug. 22, 1997. The commission approved the sale of the casino to Boyd Gaming in 1999, and Boyd has been running the casino ever since.
Blue Chip started as a riverboat casino with three levels, but following several renovation and expansion projects, most notably a $163 million one in 2005, the new vessel more than doubled its size and housed all games on a single level.
Boyd Gaming, one of the largest casino entertainment companies in the country, owns and operates Blue Chip Casino. Boyd has 28 properties in 10 states.
No, alcoholic drinks are not free at Blue Chip Casino. Players get complimentary soft drinks, coffee, and water.
All patrons must be at least 21 to access the Blue Chip Casino floor.
No, Blue Chip Casino is a nonsmoking facility.
There are over 1,900 slot machines on Blue Chip Casino’s floor.
Not under its name, but owner Boyd Gaming offers the Stardust social casino app. No real money purchases are necessary.
Win/loss statements are available via the Boyd Rewards portal. Log in to your Boyd Rewards account, select win/loss statement, choose Blue Chip Casino as the property in question, enter the year and click submit. The statement will be available as a PDF.