After generating $98.5 million in gross gaming revenue (GGR) in August, New York’s nine online sports betting operators finished September strong, making a staggering $165.6 million in profits.
It’s the record revenue for NY sportsbooks, representing a 68% monthly increase from August and a 15.5% yearly rise from the same period last year.
While New York’s online gambling industry experienced a major growth in September in both revenue and betting handle, the state’s commercial casinos also had a very successful month.
September 2023 was third best month since NY sportsbooks launched
In terms of sports betting handle (total bets), September was New York sportsbooks’ third-best month since their launch in January 2022. NY sports betting operators and retail casinos reached $1.76 billion in total bets in September.
The figure is a 39.99% yearly rise from September last year.
According to the September revenue report from the New York State Gaming Commission, it is the 12th time in the last 13 months that NY sportsbooks surpassed the $1 billion handle mark, with July 2023 being the only exception. It is also the 18th to exceed the $1 billion handle mark since online sports betting launched in the state in January last year.
The $1.76 billion figure also represents a 58% monthly increase from $1.11 billion in August.
FanDuel generates highest revenue in New York, DraftKings posts best handle
Flutter Entertainment’s FanDuel remained in the top position in terms of revenue figures in September. The operator generated nearly $77 million in GGR out of $682.5 million in total bets.
Its biggest rival, DraftKings, came in second with $61.4 million in revenue and the best handle of nearly $710.5 million among all nine operators.
- Caesars followed with $12.6 million in revenue from a $174 million betting handle
- BetMGM was fourth, with $8.2 million in revenue and a $100 million handle
- Rush Street Interactive (RSI) came in fifth with $4.2 million in revenue and $50.1 in total bets
Throughout September, the Empire State collected $84.4 million in tax revenue that goes towards education. That’s over $600 million for the 2023 calendar year and more than $1.297 billion in all-time net revenues to education.
New York’s commercial casinos generate $1.3M in revenue
New York’s four commercial casinos combined to generate almost $1.3 million in revenue during September.
Here’s how much each of the operators earned in September:
- Rivers Schenectady collected $541,294 in sports betting revenue from the $3.65 million handle
- Del Lago generated $317,547 in sports betting GGR from a $1.87 million handle
- Resorts World Catskills‘ sports betting revenue was $267,735 from $2.39 million betting handle
- Tioga Downs made $146,545 in sports betting revenue from a $ $761,953 betting handle