To Top

Related Companies Reveals Revised Plan For Proposed Hudson Yards Casino

Written By Katarina Vojvodic on May 29, 2023 - Last Updated on February 6, 2024
CEO of Related Companies Jeff Blau Makes Presentation about Hudson Yards New York casino mega-complex

After two top candidates backed out, Related Companies revealed a revised plan for its proposed Hudson Yards casino mega-complex.

The developer is yet to receive the overpriced gaming license for the New York casino from the New York State Gaming Commission.

Related Companies discloses revised $10 billion bid for New York casino

The Post was the first to report that the New York casino project will include “two gleaming skyscrapers.”

Related CEO Jeff Blau said the proposed $10 billion development plan for the Yards’ western half would be revitalized by the three-million-square-foot “resort” tower. Wynn-branded resort tower will include a 1,700-room hotel to serve the “struggling” Javits Center.

“It will be one of the most incredible tall buildings in New York City,” Blau told The Post Friday.

The venue and high-end restaurants and shops would take up 250,000 square feet in the new skyscraper. The casino will offer table games like:

  • Blackjack
  • Roulette
  • Craps
  • Poker

The executive hopes the new venue will attract experienced players and newbies looking to try their luck on the far West Side.

Blau also revealed a surprise addition for the undeveloped 6.5-acre portion of Hudson Yards, a two-million-square-foot “office” tower. It will be between 11th and 12th Avenues.

Hudson Yards developer believes to have the best casino proposal

Stephen M. Ross is the founder and the leader of Related Companies.

The firm plans to keep:

  • A previously announced 5.5-acre public green park adjacent to the High Line
  • A much-needed public school for the area
  • A 1-million square-foot rental apartment tower with 329 “affordable” units

“For these reasons, we feel we’re in a good position with the best proposal,” Blau said. “We’re looking to win.”

Blau’s chances for victory in the casino sweepstakes significantly increased last week. It was after Sen. Jessica Ramos shot down Steve Cohen’s proposal for a gambling complex on state-owned land in Queens.

Cohen and Seminole Gaming were among a few bidders interested in obtaining one of three NY casino licenses to operate a downstate New York casino. The other two licenses will probably go to the “racinos” at Aqueduct and in Yonkers. New York Mets owner was eyeing a casino neighboring the team’s home stadium of Citi Field in Willets Point, Queens.

Gambling giant Bally’s is reportedly also out of the race. The operator planned to place a gambling venue on Donald Trump’s golf course in the Bronx. Bally’s will now back out due to a conflict with the city over leasing the land in question. Bally’s may still make one last attempt for a casino in Cohen’s yard. According to The Post, it will be with a proposal on private land at Willets Point.

Other major bidders who want to put a casino in are:

What they all have in common is facing stiff resistance from local officials.

The next round of the license selection process will likely be in July. The interested parties will meet with the state officials before making their final proposals in the fall.

Photo by NY Post
Katarina Vojvodic Avatar
Written by
Katarina Vojvodic

Katarina Vojvodic is a lead writer for PlayUSA who lives in Toronto. Vojvodic provides coverage of the US gambling industry with a focus on US online casinos. Previously, she covered Ontario’s online gambling industry for PlayCanada.com. Vojvodic holds a master’s degree in journalism from the University of Belgrade. Outside working hours, she can be found near the water with her husband and their two kids.

View all posts by Katarina Vojvodic
Privacy Policy