Senior lead writer, legislative affairs
Matthew Kredell serves as senior lead writer of legislative affairs involving online gambling at PlayUSA. He began covering efforts to legalize and regulate online gambling in 2007 after federal passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act disrupted his hobby of playing small-stakes online poker.
He has since interviewed more than 300 lawmakers around the country and written extensively about online gambling legislation. He has led coverage of bills to legalize online gambling in most states.
A lifelong Angeleno and USC journalism alum, Matthew started his career working as a sportswriter for a decade at the Los Angeles Daily News. He has written on a variety of topics for Playboy Magazine, Men’s Journal, Los Angeles magazine, LA Weekly and ESPN.com.
Media mentions on gambling legislation in the US
- Spectrum News: CA Initiative to Legalize Sports Betting Could Be On Nov. Ballot
- Maryland Reporter: When Will Sports Betting Be Legal In Maryland And How Much Will The State Earn?
- The Atlantic: Gary Johnson Solicits Contributions From Poker Players
- Action Network: Indiana Lawmakers Approve Sports Betting Bill, Governor Expected to Sign
- US Gambling Sites: Indiana Senator Working on Online Casino Legislation
Citations in academic and legal papers
- U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief in West Flagler v. Haaland: 20240219171013065_23-862 Amicus Brief Wallach Final.pdf (supremecourt.gov)
- University of Cincinnati Law Review: Which Ohio Commission Should Regulate Gambling Within the State?
- CATO Institute: Anyone’s Game: Sports‐Betting Regulations after Murphy v. NCAA
- Iowa Law Review: Regulating Sports Wagering
- Kentucky Law Journal: Kentucky Must Pony Up to the 21st Century: The Path Towards Sports Betting in the Bluegrass State is Worth the Gamble
Posts by Matthew Kredell:
- Tribe Launches First California Online Sports Betting App, With A Twist, 23 Feb 2024
- FanDuel Admits Mistakes, Works To Build Trust At California Indian Gaming Conference, 21 Feb 2024
- Ohio Legislative Committee Conducts Introductory Exploration Of Online Casino, 21 Feb 2024
- No Plans Looming For Illinois Online Casino Legislation In 2024, 21 Feb 2024
- Oklahoma Sports Betting Remains Complicated As Tribes Oppose New Bill, 21 Feb 2024
- Wallach Asks US Supreme Court To Review Case On Florida Online Sports Betting Under IGRA, 20 Feb 2024
- NYC Casino Workers Express Dismay To Addabbo Over Online Casino Bill Support, 20 Feb 2024
- Wyoming Online Casino Legislation Doesn’t Get Votes For Introduction In Short Session, 16 Feb 2024
- Alabama House Passes Sports Betting, Casino, Lottery Legislation To Senate, 15 Feb 2024
- Alabama Casino, Sports Betting Legislation Advancing Ahead Of Possible House Passage, 14 Feb 2024