Senior lead writer, legislative affairs
Matthew Kredell serves as senior lead writer of legislative affairs involving online gambling at PlayUSA. He began covering efforts to legalize and regulate online gambling in 2007 after federal passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act disrupted his hobby of playing small-stakes online poker.
He has since interviewed more than 300 lawmakers around the country and written extensively about online gambling legislation. He has led coverage of bills to legalize online gambling in most states.
A lifelong Angeleno and USC journalism alum, Matthew started his career working as a sportswriter for a decade at the Los Angeles Daily News. He has written on a variety of topics for Playboy Magazine, Men’s Journal, Los Angeles magazine, LA Weekly and ESPN.com.
Media mentions on gambling legislation in the US
- Spectrum News: CA Initiative to Legalize Sports Betting Could Be On Nov. Ballot
- Maryland Reporter: When Will Sports Betting Be Legal In Maryland And How Much Will The State Earn?
- The Atlantic: Gary Johnson Solicits Contributions From Poker Players
- Action Network: Indiana Lawmakers Approve Sports Betting Bill, Governor Expected to Sign
- US Gambling Sites: Indiana Senator Working on Online Casino Legislation
Citations in academic and legal papers
- University of Cincinnati Law Review: Which Ohio Commission Should Regulate Gambling Within the State?
- CATO Institute: Anyone’s Game: Sports‐Betting Regulations after Murphy v. NCAA
- Iowa Law Review: Regulating Sports Wagering
- Kentucky Law Journal: Kentucky Must Pony Up to the 21st Century: The Path Towards Sports Betting in the Bluegrass State is Worth the Gamble
Posts by Matthew Kredell:
- Court Motion Likely Delays Relaunch Of Florida Sports Betting, 19 Sep 2023
- New North Carolina Casino Language Still Favors One Company, 18 Sep 2023
- California Tribal Leaders Expect No Sports Betting Initiatives In 2024, 13 Sep 2023
- North Carolina Senate Playing Hardball To Get Casinos Into State Budget, 08 Sep 2023
- Kentucky Legislators Responsible For Sports Betting Legalization Hold Separate Launch Ceremony, 08 Sep 2023
- Plaintiff Makes Argument For Keeping Fliff Class Action Lawsuit Out Of Arbitration, 08 Sep 2023
- Kentucky Governor Bets Sports Wagering Launch Can Help With Re-Election, 06 Sep 2023
- Department of the Interior Calls Arguments For Rehearing ‘Strawmen’ In Court Response, 31 Aug 2023
- Fliff Asks California Judge To Dismiss Lawsuit, Compel Claim To Arbitration, 29 Aug 2023
- No Chance For North Carolina Online Casino Legalization This Session, 23 Aug 2023