GeoComply, a leader in geolocation technology, announced it would fund a two-year research project for the International Center for Responsible Gaming (ICRG).
The two-year project will focus on the long-term effectiveness of voluntary self-exclusion programs used by online gaming and land-based gambling operators.
Self-exclusion programs are a responsible gambling resource used across the US.
Research to focus on voluntary self-exclusion
The ICRG is an organization dedicated to promoting responsible gambling practices worldwide. The organization’s primary mission is to help prevent problem gambling and reduce the harm from excessive gambling.
Arthur B. Paikowsky, President of the ICRG, said:
“There is a necessity to determine whether enhancing these programs would result in more customer participation and whether this would be beneficial.”
Paikowsky added that additional research is required to assess the prolonged efficacy of voluntary self-exclusion programs.
In a statement, GeoComply Co-Founder and CEO Anna Sainsbury said:
“We have been committed to responsible gambling initiatives since forming GeoComply over a decade ago. We need more data to support the industry’s actions around RG, and I am really happy that we can support the ICRG’s research in this important area.”
The goal is to have the research results published in October 2025.
Research topics vary
According to GeoComply, a few potential research topics include:
- What is the most effective form of self-exclusion long-term?
- What is the ideal time for exclusion from a gaming property or site?
- Is “self-exclusion” a negative term that stigmatizes and stops people from enrolling?
- What is the best method of registering? For example, does registering with security stop people in land-based casinos?
- What criteria should an operator or the state gaming commission use to decide if a person should be allowed back?
GeoComply’s geolocation solutions are installed on over 400 million devices and analyze over a billion monthly transactions. The company also provides the US online gambling industry with fraud detection solutions.
Some of GeoComply’s customers include BetMGM, DraftKings and FanDuel.