State of Play’s TL;DR
- Bally’s says it can’t continue operating without raising more capital.
- That could have a serious impact on its planned casino in the Bronx.
Bally’s Corporation has disclosed “substantial doubt” about its ability to continue operating in its current form without raising significant capital, according to a Form 10-Q filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
The warning adds pressure to the operator’s major development pipeline, including its planned $4 billion casino hotel project in the Bronx.
The company has already supplied $800 million to the New York project, but analysts cited by Casino.com said Bally’s may need another $500 million to move the development to its next stage.
Bronx project faces fresh financing questions
The Bronx casino hotel is one of Bally’s biggest growth bets, but the latest filing has intensified doubts about whether the company can fund all of its projects at once.
Gaming and Leisure Properties had already indicated earlier this year that it was unlikely to provide full financing for the Bronx development.
Citizens Equity Research analyst Jordan Bender said Bally’s likely cannot complete all of its projects at current leverage levels without either selling assets or bringing in a development partner. He added that Las Vegas appears the most likely asset to be sold or paired with a partner.
Chicago pause adds to investor pressure
The filing comes shortly after Bally’s paused construction on its Chicago mega-project, which is expected to cost $1.7 billion. Bally’s nevertheless said there had been no change to the project’s status because of the latest 10-Q and that the development remains on track for an early 2027 opening.
In a company statement, Bally’s said the going-concern disclosure reflected “a forward-looking technical accounting analysis which considers only funding that has been unconditionally secured as of the date of the assessment.”
Casino.com reported that Bally’s stock was trading at $8.91 at the time of writing, down 30.9% over five days and 35.3% since Monday morning.
What to watch next
Key questions now are whether Bally’s can secure additional financing for the Bronx project, bring in a partner, or sell assets to support its broader development pipeline.
The company has also said its Chicago project remains positioned for an early 2027 opening despite the recent disclosure.
Based on reporting by Grant Mitchell for Casino.com.