To Top

Top Tips on How to Win at Roulette

Roulette is a popular casino game that offers fast-paced action, a simple format, and a wide range of betting options.

The roulette wheel has an inherent house edge, which can make long-term success elusive, but there are ways to reduce that edge. This page provides six tips that can boost your chances of winning when you play real money roulette next.

1. Stick to single zero wheels

European Roulette wheels have just a single zero, which results in a house edge of 2.7%. By contrast, an American Roulette wheel has a single zero and a double zero, which increases the house edge to an unappealing 5.26%.

Put patriotism to one side and avoid the American roulette wheel. You should always play European as opposed to American Roulette when given the option.

2. French Roulette bets are the best value

If possible, always opt for French Roulette, as it has an even lower house edge than European Roulette. That is due to a rule named La Partage.

Many online casinos do not offer French Roulette, but you can play it at BetMGM online casino and FanDuel Casino, as well as various others.

La Partage

La Partage earns you a 50% rebate if the ball lands on the single zero when playing French Roulette. That cuts the house edge down to just 1.35%, leaving a Return to Player (RTP) rate of 98.65%.

En Prison

Most French Roulette games feature the La Partage rule, but some use En Prison instead. If the ball lands on the single zero, your bet amount will be placed “in prison.”

You then have the chance to win it back on the next spin of the wheel. If the bet wins, you get your chips back, and if it loses, you forfeit them.

3. Take advantage of online casino bonuses

Claiming bonuses and participating in loyalty programs at online casinos can also effectively reduce the house edge built into roulette games.

Try to claim large, attractive casino bonuses with realistic wagering requirements. Check the contribution rates for roulette, as you will often find that just $0.20 or $0.10 for every $1 you wager on roulette counts toward satisfying the playthrough requirements.

Once again, choosing the roulette games with the lowest house edge will improve your prospects of successfully completing the requirements and ending up with a profit.

4. Play slowly and take breaks

Roulette is an online casino game of chance, and you cannot control where the ball will land. However, you can control the pace of the game.

Slow down the action and take regular breaks to ensure you remain fresh. That will help you make sensible decisions in terms of gambling responsibly. It will also reduce the chances of you making an error if you are following a progression strategy, such as the Martingale, the Labouchere, or the Paroli.

5. Remember that the wheel has no memory

Remember that previous results will not influence the next spin of the roulette wheel. In the past, players believed that they were more likely to win after suffering a losing streak, but the gambler’s fallacy (as it’s now known) has no basis in reality or statistics.

The only way in which past results can dictate future outcomes is if you find an unbalanced roulette wheel. That will never happen when playing roulette online, where random number generators yield all the results.

6. Don’t play with funds you cannot afford to lose

No strategy can eliminate the inherent house edge built into the roulette wheel. The results are random, meaning that some players win and others lose, but success is never guaranteed.

For that reason, you should never play with funds that you cannot afford to lose. Try to treat roulette as a form of entertainment, not as a solution to any financial issues you may be experiencing, and please gamble responsibly.


Long-term success is naturally difficult when playing roulette, as the zero pocket hands the house an edge. There is nothing you can do to change that, but following the steps laid out above and employing a solid roulette strategy can help you reduce the house edge in roulette as much as possible.

Play French Roulette when possible, avoid the American Roulette wheel, claim attractive bonuses, rack up loyalty points, play slowly, take regular breaks, and always gamble responsibly.

Fact checked by
Adam Candee
Privacy Policy