Enjoy real money casino games with free bonus cash.
As more states regulate online casinos, the competition between the brands heats up. This fire gives you more opportunities to take advantage of no-deposit bonuses.
These bonuses are usually small amounts of cash you get for registering an account, typically $10-$30 at state-licensed casinos. Outside of the regulated states, there are offers at sweepstakes casinos.
This page explains how to avoid common pitfalls with no deposit casino bonuses. You’ll find an overview of how they work, terms and conditions to look out for and how to parlay your free play into a bigger casino bankroll.
Best casinos with free money and no deposit offers
The basics: How no deposit casino bonuses work
Here’s an example to explain how these bonuses work from Golden Nugget Casino in New Jersey. You’ll find that many other offers are similar.
This deal is for $20 free for simply registering, and is open to anyone 21 years or older who is inside the state line.
Here is how to claim this bonus:
- Register your account: Use bonus code PLAY20 to claim your no-deposit bonus. The casino adds the $20 to your bonus account.
- Complete the wagering requirements (20x for slots and 100x for other games). You have 15 days to do so.
Once you complete the playthrough, the bonus cash is considered cleared and is available for withdrawal or real-money play. If you hit an early win, then the playthrough should not be a problem. Note, many casinos have smaller playthrough requirements.
No-deposit casino offers are only available to one per person and per household, which is to prevent an enterprising player from signing up accounts for their entire family.
No deposit bonus offers in New Jersey
While we wait for the first Pennsylvania casinos to go online, New Jersey is one of two states with regulated online casinos.
There are a lot of big brands active in this market, which means residents of the Garden State have a lot of no deposit bonus offers available.
Here are some of the best current deals:
- $30 free at Virgin Casino: The iconic Virgin brand is partners with the Tropicana Atlantic City for its online casino. New players get $30 with bonus code 30BUCKS. What I like about this offer is the industry-leading one-time playthrough requirement. If you like what you see at Virgin NJ, you can also take advantage of the $100 loss-back on your first week’s gambling. There is also a V*Points loyalty scheme, plus plenty of regular player promos.
- $25 free at Caesars NJ: Another iconic brand, and this time a $25 free-play offer. Use bonus code PLAYFREE25 to claim this deal. Again, only a one-time playthrough requirement if you use this bonus for slots and you have 30 days. There is also a 100% matched-deposit bonus up to $300 available with a low 5x wagering requirement on slots.
- $20 free at the Golden Nugget: While the playthrough on this offer might be higher than some, the selection of 600+ games and quality of the site will more than makeup for this. You have 15 days to complete this bonus, which is claimed with bonus code 20FREE. There are plenty more bonuses to follow, including a matched welcome bonus of up to $100.
- $25 free at Borgata Casino: Use bonus code FREECASH to get the $20 free play offer at the Borgata online casino. This offer is for slots only and has a one-time wagering requirement. The matched welcome bonus also has a one-time playthrough. This is a 100% match, up to $600, and needs only $600 in wagering to clear the full amount.
No deposit bonuses at PA online casinos
As it turns out, two of Pennsylvania’s online casinos have no-deposit bonuses running right now. If you have not registered for an account at either site, you might consider it. Here are the details about each bonus.
Unibet Online Casino – $10 Free
Unibet Online Casino is not necessarily a familiar name to the American public. However, the company is an absolute giant in Europe, and has loads of experience with running online casino games.
New players to Unibet can take advantage of an offer to receive $10 in their account without a deposit. Simply enter promotional code UBCASINO10 while you’re registering, and the bonus will be waiting for you when you finish the process.
Now, there are a few notable terms and conditions associated with this bonus. Please review the following points before you opt into the deal:
- You will have to verify your account before you can begin using the funds.
- The funds that you receive will only work on casino games. The integrated sportsbook will not accept wagers from this deal.
- You will have seven days from the time of your registration to use the bonus and satisfy the playthrough requirement.
- Any unused portion will revert to Unibet at the end of the time limit.
- The playthrough requirement is on the large side for a no-deposit bonus. You must bet through 25x the bonus amount before you can make any withdrawals. In other words, you will have to bet (though not lose, necessarily) $250 before the bonus money will be yours to keep.
- Slot games count more than table games for the purpose of satisfying the requirement. One hundred percent of slot wagers are eligible for playthrough, while only 10% of table game wagers count toward the total.
Unibet also features a generous 100% deposit match bonus for new customers. You can have the entirety of your first deposit matched up to $500 if you enter promo code UBCASINO500 when you make that first deposit.
The deposit bonus bears the same playthrough requirement that the no-deposit bonus does. However, you will have 30 days to satisfy the required amount of wagering for this offer.
Hollywood Online Casino – $25 Free
Hollywood Online Casino is the virtual arm of the casinos of the same name. Both the app and its land-based brethren are owned and operated by Penn National Gaming, which is a large and growing gaming company based primarily in the northeast US.
We are proud to offer a terrific deal with Hollywood Online Casino that is both generous and easy to manage. Use our links above to register, and you will find yourself with $25 to play onsite.
As is the case with the Unibet deal, there is some fine print involved with this offer. Make sure you read all the ins and outs below before you commit to the deal:
- There is no promotional code necessary to redeem this bonus.
- The playthrough requirement is a single playthrough. You will need only to wager $25 worth of bets to free up the funds for withdrawal.
- Every game on the website/app is eligible for the playthrough requirement. There is no restriction or preference given to a particular type of game.
- Accounts that are inactive for 180 days will forfeit their bonus funds.
In addition to the no-deposit bonus, players can also take part in a deposit bonus identical to the one at Unibet. Use promo code WELCOME when you’re in the cashier to activate the bonus option. The playthrough requirement for the deposit bonus is a bit steeper. You will need to wager through 20x your bonus amount. However, overall, this is a great way to build your bankroll, particularly if you’re planning to put in the hours.
Playthrough requirements for no deposit casino bonuses
Every casino will have some wagering requirement, which is necessary to stop people from simply withdrawing the bonus money as soon as they receive it.
After all, the spirit of the offer is to let the casinos showcase their slots and games.
The best offer credits you the money with a one-time playthrough. These deals sometimes have terms and conditions to ensure the offer is not abused. For example, you might need to deposit money before withdrawing any free-play winnings. You might also find a cap on the amount you can win.
Standard playthrough requirements are between 5x and 20x on free play. This means that a $20 bonus will require you to make between $100 and $400 in wagers before it is cleared.
Choosing slots with a higher return-to-player (RTP) percentage will increase your chances of profiting from your no-deposit bonus. Realistically, the wagering requirements mean you’ll have to hit a win quickly.
Table games have a lower house edge, assuming you play a perfect strategy. To balance this, casinos either exclude them from the bonus or use a higher wagering requirement.
Note: Making low-risk bets like covering both odd and even on a roulette table will be explicitly banned.
Other terms and conditions
The playthrough requirement is not the only bit of fine print you may encounter with a no-deposit bonus. Unfortunately, with most bonuses, the devil is often in the details.
So make sure that you read through the terms and conditions of any potential offer before you accept it. Most no-deposit offers are worth claiming, but you need to know what you’re accepting first.
Here are some other terms and conditions that you might see:
- Player type: Most no-deposit bonuses are only available for new players to the site.
- Time limit: There is often a time frame during which you have to redeem the amount of the bonus and meet the playthrough requirement. Make sure that you can feasibly satisfy the playthrough before moving forward.
- Expiration date: The bonus may only be available to you for a certain period after you register for an account. Make sure to check if you’re not planning on playing very often.
- Game value: Casinos often prescribe a different weight or value for games regarding the satisfaction of the playthrough requirement. Slots may count more than table games, for instance, so make sure to calculate how long it will take you to play through on your preferred game.
- Eligibility: An online casino may also declare that the bonus money is only eligible on certain games, certain length of odds or certain bets themselves. Longshots, like jackpots or progressive bonuses, may not be available for wagering with free funds.
- Verification: You may be required to click a link in your email or otherwise confirm to the site that you are who you say and that you’re not a robot or automated service.
Best games for no deposit casino bonuses
Most casinos stipulate that their free money bonuses are for slots only. They do this by either excluding table games entirely or adding a very high wagering requirement (or low weighting) for those games.
While you could go for a low-volatility slot with the highest RTP, this does assume your only objective is to clear a few bucks of your bonus and withdraw it. Some people enjoy this challenge, though most of us will be looking for some entertainment — along with a shot at a big win.
If you do want to eke out some free money from these bonuses, you should check the “Information” tab on many slots.
These usually have a terms page, which details things like “malfunction voids all bets” and so on. Within this, you will find the RTP, which is the average payout over millions of spins.
A slot with 96% RTP or higher is considered very good, and a slot below 93% RTP is very poor. Most games will be within this range.
You should also choose games with the lowest variance, which means avoiding games with big progressive jackpots and multiple bonus features.
For those looking to use their bonus money to go big or go home, there are still some crucial factors in choosing a game.
Again, the lower the RTP, the better. Volatility is not such a bad thing; for that shot at a big win can make playing with the casino’s money all the more exciting.
Live dealer table games are often not a part of no-deposit bonus offers. Even where you can use them, the higher minimum bets make them unsuitable. Software-based table games have such high playthrough requirements that you’ll need a lucky run to make them pay out.
Video poker does not work well for clearing free-play bonuses. Casinos understand that the house edge for these games are low when players use perfect strategy. This leads them to weight video poker low or ask for a high playthrough requirement.
You can use bingo and keno to clear your no-deposit bonus money. The problem here is that the house edge for these games is often very high. While you might get lucky and score a big hit, the chances are that your free-money bankroll will not be big enough to last.
Terms and conditions: Things to watch for
As long as you stick to legal, regulated casinos, your no-deposit welcome bonus will be a genuine offer.
While the terms are not as important as for deals at unregulated, or gray market operators, it is still worth taking the time to understand the rules.
No player wants to score a nice win on a slot with bonus money only to find that his or her win is void for some easily preventable infraction.
Here are the key things to look out for:
- Time limits: Some casinos have bonuses which expire in less than a week, while others give you a full 30 days to complete your bonus-clearing play.
- Caps on wins: If you strike it lucky, you’ll want to ensure that your free play does not come with a limit on what can be won.
- Playthrough: This topic has been covered at length above, and varies widely between casinos.
- Deposit to withdraw: Some casinos ask you to deposit before any cleared winnings can be withdrawn. While you might get an additional bonus on this money, it takes away from the “completely free” nature of the original offer.
- Banned or zero-weighted games: Low-risk bets are often banned and can cause your bonus to be voided. Games, including craps and video poker, are commonly excluded from counting toward your wagering requirements.
If you check the terms and conditions at any regulated casino and are still unclear on the rules, we recommend getting in touch with the customer support team.
It is better to check first before you take a bonus than to find out you have messed up when you withdraw.
Other ways to get real money casino bonuses
The best thing about these no-deposit offers is that you can start a bankroll that you can use for even better deals later.
This line of thinking involves winning some money with the free play, withdrawing it, and then using it for deposit bonuses later. These are often a lot bigger than the initial free-play offers.
Here are the other ways that legal online casinos can boost your bankroll:
- Matched deposit bonuses: Most casinos will match your first deposit at 100%. If you deposit $100, you will have $200 for play. There are playthrough requirements for these bonuses, which the casino releases into your real-money account in increments as you play.
- Reload bonuses: Even after that initial free play and the matched bonus has gone, you can often get a reload for a future deposit; however, the percentage match and size of these bonuses will vary. You will often find casinos have reloads aimed at specific game types, even regularly scheduled on different days of the week.
- Free spins: A common promotion is to offer a small number of free spins on specific slots. This promotion is typical for new slots, or simply an incentive for deposits. You’ll usually need to complete a wagering requirement for the cash you win with your free spins.
- Comp or loyalty programs: Just like in live casinos, online casinos offer comp schemes that vary in complexity. Some give you flat-rate returns in the form of bonuses for the points you collect. Others have tiers, where your benefits increase alongside your level of play.
- One-off promotions: It pays to bookmark the promotions pages of all the online casinos in your state. Promotions change quickly, and taking advantage of them will give your bankroll a regular boost. These can be tied to holidays, new games, or only as a way to get old players to come back.
As you gain experience with taking advantage of the different casino bonuses, it can pay to find a fast and effective deposit option.
I recommend an e-wallet like PayPal or Skrill. These can be used to securely move money between whichever casino has the best promotions at that moment. This will also keep gambling transactions off of your regular bank statement.
There are also free-play offers and deposits at the different state-regulated sports betting sites and online poker rooms to take advantage.
No deposit bonuses at sweepstakes casinos
Outside of the states with regulated online casinos, you can play at sweepstakes casinos, which cover almost every state (except for Washington, D.C.) offering a workaround via sweepstakes gambling laws.
How a sweepstakes casino works
Everybody has heard about sweepstakes before. Usually, some company will run a contest to give away cash and prizes that seem both outsized and serendipitous.
However, in order to remain in good standing with the laws of most states, sweepstakes must operate within very specific parameters. One of those parameters is that people must be able to win a sweepstakes site’s contests without spending any money of their own.
The sweepstakes sites that offer the widest selections of games walk very closely on that particular line.
Still, it is technically true that you can have the opportunity to win something for nothing through the following sweepstakes sites. It just may take some patience, or it may not be that likely to occur.
The first three sites to explore are all part of the same corporate family. Chumba Casino, Global Poker and LuckyLand Slots offer sweepstakes gaming for players in nearly every US state.
The three sites are classified as sweepstakes sites due to their unique dual-currency structure. Players on Chumba, Global or LuckyLand can play any game on each site with either Gold Coins or Sweeps Coins.
At the end of the day, the goal for most players is the Sweeps Coins, because it is the only currency of the two that is redeemable for real prizes. The catch is that it is impossible to purchase Sweeps Coins in any form.
Instead, players can buy Gold Coins and receive an amount of Sweeps Coins coincidentally with the purchase. Alternatively, players can send a handwritten request via snail mail to Chumba, Global or LuckyLand and receive Sweeps Coins for free.
Thus, it is possible to participate and win redeemable prizes on these sites without any direct purchase or investment. However, many players find it worthwhile to pay for the convenience that comes with an ancillary purchase.
Current no-deposit bonuses:
- Chumba Casino — Use our link, register and receive two Sweeps Coins and 900,000 Gold Coins for free.
- Global Poker — Register and verify your account to receive 20 Sweeps Coins and 5,000 Gold Coins free. Make sure to click through our link above.
- LuckyLand Slots — Get 10 free Sweeps Coins when you sign up through our secure link.
Another sweepstakes site that online casino players can try is Funzpoints. Funzpoints operates with a similar dual-currency system to the slate of sites listed above. In Funzpoints’ case, you can either use Funzpoints or Premium Funzpoints. As you may expect, it is possible to redeem Premium Funzpoints for cash, but you cannot buy them outright.
Current no-deposit bonus:
Use our link to claim a free bonus of $2.50 in Premium Funzpoints.
Publishers Clearing House
The other major sweepstakes site where you can win without making a deposit is Publishers Clearing House, or PCH. The site, most famous for its extravagant prizes and Prize Patrol commercials, offers a whole range of games that can ultimately lead to actual money and prizes.
PCH, unlike Chumba, Global or LuckyLand, eschews the dual-currency system entirely. Instead, players can play any game on the PCH site for free, and for as long as they like.
In the process, players will accrue tokens in their PCH accounts. These tokens are redeemable on the Token Exchange for a smorgasbord of cash and prize drawings.
However, once you’ve purchased entries in these drawings with your tokens, the winner of the drawing becomes a random selection. Thus, everyone has a chance to win, albeit a small one.
In the meantime, if you’re looking for more esoteric gaming options, like keno, lotto, scratch offs or instant win games, Publishers Clearing House might be worth a try. Its structure, format and offerings are wildly different from the other sites mentioned above.
Depending on your tastes, it might be just the place to be.
Finally, it bears mention that MGM offers four different social casino sites that can give you a pathway to real world apps at the casino giant’s properties. The four sites in question are:
- myVegas Slots
- myVegas Blackjack
- myKonami Slots
- Pop Slots
All four sites/apps operate with a dual currency system, similar to Chumba, Global and LuckyLand. However, in this case, one currency is used to play the games, and one is for redeeming prizes.
The regular chips, which are purple, are used to play the games themselves. There are slot machines and games for all levels of play, and it’s no cost to get started, even on a small scale.
As you play, the apps periodically reward you with yellow Loyalty Points. These points accrue in your account, and play from all four sites can feed into the same account.
Loyalty Points are redeemable for a wide selection of prizes across both MGM’s suite of properties and with selected partners. Rewards include comped rooms, food offers, entertainment tickets or even free-play dollars in the casinos themselves.
There’s no denying that you will have to grind these games daily in order to put together a significant amount of buying power. However, these comps are both 100% real and 100% achievable, so if you really want to sweeten an upcoming trip, myVegas and its associated sites are the way to go.
Know your customer checks
Regulated, legal online casinos have to protect their players. They ensure that minors don’t gamble, plus allow people with gambling problems to self-exclude. There is also a responsibility to deter fraud and money laundering.
If you want to take advantage of no-deposit casino bonuses, the casino operators will need some backup documents from you. This ensures you are at least 21 years old, and prevents issues with one person taking multiple bonuses.
Players who enjoy the safety of regulated online gambling generally welcome these checks. After all, without them, online casinos would probably not be possible.
You can prepare for these checks by having proof of ID (with a photo) and address ready. If you take a picture of these and get them prepared to send to different casinos, you’ll be in a great position to take advantage of all the no-deposit offers out there.
If you do make a deposit, you’ll also be asked for some proof of your deposit method. This could be a picture of your credit or debit card. You are welcome to black out all except for the last four numbers.
If you believe you have an issue with gambling addiction or compulsive behavior, then you’ll find information to help you on the websites of all the regulated casinos.
There are tools in place, as well as links to local charities and organizations that can assist. Those tools include the ability to set time limits, deposit limits (daily, weekly or monthly), time outs from the site or even permanent self-exclusion.