Inspired Gaming has taken an inspired crack at making a football-themed slot that exudes a love for the sport with 1st Down Slot. Your first gameplay decision is choosing one of eight teams to root for, and this already builds a sense of investment and makes the game more compelling. It’s all the better because when you reach the main bonus feature, you’ll see your chosen team playing offense, scoring touchdowns, and scoring you the best wins the game has to offer.
Slots to play next
What makes 1st Down Slot great
Quite a few compelling, unique elements to the game will surely help some players fall in love with 1st Down Slot.
- Genuine love for football: From the visual design to the way this game lets players pick their own teams, 1st Down Slot has plenty of football-infused flair.
- Sport-inspired bonus feature: Watch football clips, rack up wins as your team takes offense, and win up to $250,000 in this open-ended bonus game.
- Novel gameplay options: Autoplay and turbo mode are great, but you can also click the screen to instantly slam the reels to their conclusion or change the screen orientation with left-hand mode.
How 1st Down Slot could improve
In spite of the good qualities the game has to offer, some significant shortcomings are holding it back.
- Team choices are not very meaningful: The teams are imaginary, and the change they make to the game is limited to minor visual tweaks. Perhaps a sequel could introduce a bonus feature associated with your choice of team.
- Normal wins are low: The 1st Down bonus can result in wins up to $250,000x, but the biggest standard symbol win is only 15x.
- Sparse bonus features: There’s a basic wild symbol and the 1st Down bonus feature, and that’s it.
1st Down Slot specs
|Name||1st Down Slot|
|Min / Max Bet||$0.10 - $100|
|# of Pay-lines||30|
|Bonus Features||Wild, scatter|
Free to Play Inspired Gaming Slots
- Bear Money Slot
- Big Bonus Slot Machine
- Big Christmas Present Slot Game
- Big Fishing Fortune Slot Game
- Big Piggy Bonus Slot Game
- Big Spin Bonus Slot Machine
- Bonus Island Slot Game
- Book of Christmas Slot Game
- Book of Halloween Slot Machine
- Book of Independence Slot Game
- Bullion Bars Grab the Gold Slot Machine
- Christmas Cash Pots Slot Machine
- Christmas Cashspins Slot Game
- Desperados Wild Megaways Slot
- Dragon Ways Multiplier Slot Game
- Eggspendables Slot Machine
- Egyptian Pays Slot Machine
- Elemental Beasts Slot Game
- Emerald Smash Slot Game
- Fishing Cash Pots Slot Game
- Gimme Gold Megaways Slot Game
- Gold Cash Freespins Slot Game
- Gold Cash Slot Game
- Golden 7s Slot Game
- Golden Nugget Megaways Slot Game
- Super Fruits Wild Slots
How to play 1st Down Slot online
1st Down Slot uses a fairly standard format for modern online slots, with 3×5 reels and wins that occur with 3-5 matching symbols in a line. All games play at 30 pay-lines, and you can bet less than a penny on each, with the minimum bet of $0.10 total, or increase your bet to $100 total. The broad betting range suits players of all wallet sizes, and the RTP of 96.5% is a welcome feature as well.
Besides the standard gameplay features, you also choose a team to play when you load up the game and can switch at any time. This only impacts the visuals, but it’s a nice touch nonetheless. If you’d prefer to try out the game before you put up real money, you can play our demo version or sign up at a real money casino that offers a no-deposit bonus. See popular online casinos below:
Bonus and jackpots for 1st Down Slot (Rating of 3/5)
There’s only one bonus feature of note in 1st Down Slot, the 1st Down bonus. It triggers when five scatter coin symbols land in any position on the reels, at which point all coins reveal a multiplier from 1x to 10x. From here, the team you chose at the start of the game begins playing offense as depicted by football clips, and each touchdown is worth 6x, while field goals award 3x.
Your win is based on the sum of all of the aforementioned multipliers with your bet, and the game continues until your team throws an interception or misses a field goal. It can theoretically go on without end, but a maximum win ceiling of $250,000 can stop the game. It’s a good bonus feature, but the fact it’s the only one available is what holds back the game.
1st Down Slot graphics and visuals (Rating of 3/5)
The graphics and visuals on display are largely good, with sharp symbol design and theme-inspired symbols like helmets and football players. A nice touch is that their color scheme and design stem from the team you chose before you started playing, and this color also decorates the background. However, the color saturation is excessive and makes the background somewhat unpleasant and distracting.
1st Down Slot gameplay (Rating of 5/5)
The core gameplay of 1st Down Slot is its strongest point, thanks to smooth spins, an intuitive interface, and an abundance of options. While the default pace of gameplay is reasonable, you can streamline and accelerate it with autoplay, turbo, and a unique slam stop feature. Click anywhere on the screen during a spin to make the reels run faster and get your result in a moment. It’s easy to tell you’ve got the potential for a winning line, and using slam stop to quickly reveal a win is quite satisfying.
Overall rating for 1st Down Slot by Inspired Gaming
1st Down Slot is a real mixed bag, with excellent base gameplay features and a quick, smooth pace of play. It nails the basics but fumbles the ball with a combination of low payouts and limited bonus features that would be fatal if the game didn’t have above-average RTP. Visually, the game is appealing, but the color palette stemming from your choice of team oversaturates the background somewhat and dampens the appeal. While football fans who prefer lighter, simpler slots will love 1st Down Slot, a few key shortcomings hold it back from greatness. On balance, we award it a 3.7/5.