Editor and analyst
Dustin Gouker is the Vice President of Catena North America and head of content for PlayUSA and regional Play-branded sites, including PlayNY, PlayMichigan, PlayNJ and PlayPennsylvania. He has reported on and analyzed online sports betting, online casino, online poker and daily fantasy sports industries since 2015, and is considered one of the leading US analysts and resources on these burgeoning industries.
Gouker was on hand for oral arguments before the US Supreme Court struck down the federal ban on sports betting.
He was a sports journalist for more than 15 years, working as a reporter, editor and designer, including stops at The Washington Post and the Washington Examiner.
He’s based in Oregon, is married and has a daughter.
Media Appearances and Citations
- USA Today | The Big Bet: Sports Gambling Has Leagues, Networks And Books Desperate For A Piece Of Your Action
- “While bettors won’t make a lot of money in the long term, gambling is a sustainable system if it’s done right,” says Dustin Gouker, an industry analyst for Play USA, a network that monitors the gaming industry in all 50 states. “There’s room for growth – and it will be sustainable for everybody around.”
- Morningstar | 2021 March Madness Will Be First Sporting Event To Reach $1 Billion In Legal Wagering, Analysts Say
- “The Super Bowl draws the most bets for a single game, but March Madness and its 60+ games should more than double what the Super Bowl draws,” said Dustin Gouker, lead analyst for PlayUSA.com (link). “But the dramatic expansion of legal markets, as well as the exponential growth within each market, means more people will have an opportunity to bet on the NCAA Tournament than ever before. And that will produce an eye-popping handle number that could reach $1.5 billion.”
- Westword | Think There Won’t Be Anything To Wager On May 1? Want To Bet?
- “If I were doing it, I wouldn’t launch sports betting into the void of sports,” says Dustin Gouker, a sports-betting analyst for PlayUSA.com. “I just don’t know how compelling that is. It seems anti-climactic.”
- The Telegraph | Opponents Unhappy With Pritzker’s Online Wagering Action
- “The state’s sports betting market has boomed since last summer, and that has largely been because of the decision to remove in-person registration requirements,” said Gouker. “Reversing that now essentially puts the brakes on that growth, and will artificially suppress online gaming in Illinois for as long as it is in place.”
- Play News: The State Of NY Sports Betting: A Discussion With Industry Experts Chris Grove And Dustin Gouker
- GoLocal Live: State Of Sports Betting Across The US
Posts by Dustin Gouker:
- SuperDraft Launches $1 Million Fantasy Contest For Super Bowl, 15 Jan 2021
- Former NFL, MLB Stars Part Of Huge ‘Betting On Sports America’ Conference In NJ, 12 Apr 2019
- First Weekend For FanDuel Sportsbook: $1 Million In Handle, 16 Jul 2018
- Did The Sports ‘GAMBLR’ Want To Be Banned From Vegas On Purpose?, 09 Jan 2018
- Nevada Gaming Control Board Chairman AG Burnett Steps Aside, 12 Dec 2017