If you like slot games that keep you on your toes with complicated mechanics and diverse features, try Golden Chief. This Barcrest slot can trigger four different bonuses just with its scatter symbol, and that’s not all it has to offer. Expanding wilds give you 5-10x as many paylines, and you can activate special features at any time via the big bet game. If you like the Native American theme, you should give the game a try.
More online slot reviews
What makes Golden Chief slot great
The key selling point of Golden Chief is the rich gameplay.
- Dynamic gameplay: Different bet levels and wild symbols increase your paylines.
- Numerous bonus features: Try for a jackpot and three bonus wheel games.
- Play a bonus game any time: Use the big bet to play five enhanced spins at any time.
How Golden Chief slot could improve
Golden Chief would benefit from a more consistent, approachable game design.
- Improve basic gameplay: Low bets come with limiting gameplay.
- Add more customization options: Turbo and more in-depth autoplay would be a good touch.
- Unimpressive jackpot: While Golden Chief has strong gameplay, a 250x jackpot is lackluster.
Golden Chief specs
|94.12% - 98.14%
|# of Paylines
|Max Free Spins
|Expanding wilds, big bet game, symbol upgrade, jackpot, free spins
How to play Golden Chief slot online
Your most important gameplay setting in Golden Chief is setting your bet via a pair of plus and minus buttons. It can go as low as $0.10 and as high as $500 per spin. Depending on your bet, it’s possible to play at anywhere from 10 to 100 paylines. You can also bet $20-$50 for five enhanced spins via the big bet game.
It’s a bit complicated, so we recommend trying out the game for free on this page first. If you run out of credits, you can top up by refreshing. Another option is using a no-deposit bonus at one of the top-rated US online casinos before playing slots for real money. These casinos offer large collections of slot games. BetMGM casino has an impressive line of progressive slots, and Stars Casino offers regular players an innovative set of cash rewards, such as slot races and themed promotions.
It’s also possible to play online slots for free, which is the case for Golden Chief.
Bonus and jackpots for Golden Chief (Rating of 5/5)
This game has an intricate set of bonus features that can seem a bit overwhelming at times. First, there’s a jackpot you can trigger by landing five scatter symbols on the reels. The award varies depending on whether you bet more or less than $2, with bets above $2 earning 250x the total bet. Below $2, the top jackpot is a $500 prize. On top of that, there’s a separate set of bonus features you earn when landing either three or four scatters.
The golden bonus wheel
There are two types of golden bonus wheels, with the basic version triggering with three scatters. Four scatters will award the super golden bonus wheel, which features greater prizes. The spin has the potential to trigger one of three bonus games:
- Free spins: Win five free spins from the golden bonus wheel or 10 free spins from the super golden bonus wheel. To make it more exciting, you can gamble your free spins to increase that figure to 30 at the risk of losing them all.
- Cash canyon: Spin a wheel to move through a canyon and collect multipliers you can apply to your current win.
- Totem riches: Play a classic selection game where you choose which totem pole to climb in pursuit of cash rewards. Pick correctly and win, but make the wrong choice and the game can end. The super golden bonus wheel variant is notable because the game lasts until you miss two guesses.
On-demand bonus bet
You can use the bonus bet game at any time to liven up gameplay with one of three different options. While they all bring five bonus spins and a 98.14% RTP, the bonus features vary.
- Lower bet: Bet $20 to access double-stacked scatter symbols for the duration of the bonus bet.
- Middle bet: Bet $30 for doubled-stacked scatter symbols and powerful expanding wilds.
- Top bet: Bet $50 to play on 100 paylines while also accessing all the previous features.
Golden Chief graphics and visuals (Rating of 4/5)
Golden Chief is a visually attractive game that captures the spirit of its theme. The reel symbols are full of interesting geometric designs, with a Native American-style pattern spicing up generic playing card symbols. Some standouts include photorealistic totem poles and grizzly bears, not to mention the scenic background. A brilliant sunset across the plains is particularly effective at setting the mood.
Golden Chief gameplay (Rating of 3/5)
Golden Chief’s core gameplay is difficult to assess because much of the game is variable. Depending on whether you’re betting more or less than $2 and whether you’re using the bonus game, RTP varies from a poor 94.12% up to an astonishing 98.14%. This also applies to the paylines, which are few enough that spin results can be unclear.
Overall rating for Golden Chief by Barcrest (Rating of 4/5)
While this slot does a lot right, it’s more complicated than it needs to be and offers a limited experience to low-betting players. However, there’s a great experience to have here if you have a solid budget for slot games. While these design flaws hold the game back somewhat, it nonetheless earns a 4/5 score.