A significant advantage of regulated online casinos is that you can enjoy playing games for small amounts of money.
With many New Jersey and Pennsylvania casinos, you can get started for as little as $10. You can access jackpot slots, entertaining table games and, in some cases, live dealer casinos. In other states, sweepstakes casinos provide a unique way to enjoy real money casino gaming.
This page covers everything you need to know to get the best from minimum deposit casinos. You’ll find information on how to deposit, what games are best for small-stakes play and how to get the most from casino bonus deals.
Online Casinos Accepting $5, $10 & $20 Deposits
Best sweepstakes casinos for minimum deposit players
Outside of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you can win real cash prizes via sweepstakes gambling laws. This allows players all over the country to legally gamble, except for Washington, D.C.
There are two leading players in this field, both of which offer generous incentives for new players:
- Chumba Casino: Most of the games at this leading sweepstakes casino are slots, with many brand-new titles to explore. New players get $2 in “Sweeps Coins” just for registering. This virtual money is usable on slots, as any winnings can be exchanged back into dollars and withdrawn. Chumba Casino welcomes PayPal and credit card deposits. You buy “gold coins” and receive the equivalent in Sweeps Coins. For just $5, you can purchase 90,000 Gold Coins + receive an extra $10 in Sweeps Coins for free.
- Luckyland Slots: This sweepstakes casino is Chumba Casino’s sister site. It has a small selection of slots, though there are no table games. Instead of a no-deposit offer, Luckyland offers double Sweeps Coins on your first gold coins purchase of $4.99. Luckyland accepts credit card deposits.
Top 5 minimum deposit casino offers in New Jersey
With established casinos set up as partnerships between live venues and big international gaming companies, there are a lot of choices for NJ residents and visitors.
Here are the top picks if you’re seeking a casino with the best small deposit option:
1. Caesars Casino
The online site matches the live Caesars Casino in size. With more than 500 games available, you’ll have plenty of choices. Before needing to make a deposit, as a new player you can claim $25 free with the bonus code PLAYFREE25. The matched welcome bonus is a 100% match of up to $300. Caesars has more slots available via their mobile casino apps than many other NJ online casinos. The minimum deposit at Caesars is only $10.
2. Golden Nugget
Not only does this casino offer one of the biggest matched welcome bonuses, but there is also a free “nugget” for new players in the form of $20 (no deposit needed). You must use the bonus code PLAY20 to claim it. Golden Nugget has a live dealer casino, as well as a massive list of slots. This casino is the most popular of the NJ online options, and you can start with a minimum deposit of just $10.
3. Harrah’s Casino
This casino is licensed by Caesars NJ, though the technology platform is different from its self-named brand. Harrah’s is provided by 888 and includes exclusive slots and unique software. You can get $10 free, which has a simple 1x wagering requirement on slots. You can also claim a matched welcome bonus of up to $300. The minimum deposit at Harrah’s is $25.
4. Virgin Casino
This online casino is a partnership with the land-based Tropicana Casino. The software is excellent and run by international giant GameSys. As a new player, you can get $30 free (no deposit). Also, you can take advantage of up to $100 cash back if you lose during your first sessions. With plenty of promos and a minimum deposit of just $10, Virgin makes for a popular choice.
5. Tropicana Casino
The sister site of Virgin also offers its new players a no deposit bonus of free cash. This time, you’ll get $20 for registering. You must use the bonus code PLAY20 to claim it. There is also a $100 cash-back bonus based on your initial play. While this is a smaller online casino, in terms of game choice, there is no doubt that the platform and slot options are high quality. The minimum deposit at Tropicana is $10.
Casinos with low withdrawal limits
While most players look for small deposit limits, it can be worth checking the withdrawal limits before you play. You should look for low limits, which will avoid trapping your bankroll online.
For example, if a casino accepts a deposit as low as $10, though requires $100 to be accumulated before allowing a withdrawal, that 10x target may be hard to hit. Fortunately, most regulated casinos have smaller withdrawal limits. These start at $10, in many cases, though for checks or bank wires, you will be looking at $25 to $50 before a withdrawal can be processed.
Minimum deposit casinos and banking options
When you deposit at an online casino, you’ll want to avoid transaction charges and high minimum deposits. Most regulated casinos will have minimum deposit levels of between $10 and $25, depending on what method you choose.
The amount you can deposit is only one aspect of choosing a banking option. The cards and accounts you have and your approach to online banking security will also play a role.
Here are the different casino deposit methods, along with notes on how each one works and the standard minimum deposit range:
- PayNearMe: This is a cash deposit option. You get a barcode from your online casino’s cashier, then you take it to your local 7-Eleven store. While the minimum deposit amount is low (starting at $10), there is a $3.99 charge for using this service. This fee makes PayNearMe expensive as a proportion of your total deposit.
- Casino cage: All regulated state casinos in NJ and PA have a brick-and-mortar casino as their primary license holders. This means that you can visit the cage and deposit with cash. There are no fees for this, and a minimum deposit of just $10 is standard. If you are in your local casino, this is an easy way to top off your account.
- Neteller: This service is similar to PayPal, though it has one crucial difference. The fees are paid by the sender (with PayPal, you pay when you receive the money). These fees are small, and Neteller provides a secure, third-party option between your bank and the casinos. Minimum deposits again start at $10 at most legal casinos. You might also find some casinos offering deposits with Skrill, which is a similar e-wallet service.
- PayPal: The most popular electronic wallet is not accepted by every state-regulated casino, though many will welcome this. The charges occur when you upload funds and receive your cash out. If you have money in your PayPal account, you can deposit for free. Again, minimum casino deposits are $10 in most cases.
- Online banking: A novel way that legal casinos accept deposits is using bill pay. You can also use this online banking system for paying utility bills. Each casino provides a list of major banks. There are no additional charges for this option, though the minimum deposit amount is usually higher than the other options, starting at around $25.
- ACH transfer: This option is also known as e-checks. It is the electronic equivalent of an old paper check. You need to get around the clearing time to make this work. Most online casinos use a third-party option, such as VIP preferred. You get verified (documents checked) by them, and then have access to instant deposits and withdrawals using ACH. Minimum deposits start at just $10.
- Visa or Mastercard: Credit and debit cards are the fastest casino deposit option, and for many people, they are the most convenient. Making a deposit works just like making any purchase online. You can deposit as little as $10.
- Prepaid debit card: Many regulated casinos have issued branded debit cards. As long as you have the balance to cover your purchase or ATM withdrawal, these cards work the same as your regular bank cards. The advantage is that you can separate your bank and the casino transactions by topping up your prepaid card first, then using this for deposits and withdrawals. Expect minimum deposits to start at $10.
Advantages to making a small casino deposit
- Allow access to exciting real money slots and casino games for players without big gambling bankrolls.
- Unlock bonuses and promotions that include free play and matched offers.
- Allow players to test out several casinos without a big financial commitment.
Disadvantages to making a small casino deposit
- May not reach the threshold to take maximum advantage of deposit bonuses.
- Transaction fees are larger as a percentage of the deposit amount with some methods.
- Bankroll for table games can be too small for the natural swings in the games.
Minimum deposit casinos and their online games
You’ll have a vast choice of casino games. These are dominated by slots, keno, video poker and table games, though many innovative variations also exist.
A big advantage of playing online is that the stakes start a lot smaller than in a brick-and-mortar casino. For example, instead of a $5 minimum for blackjack, you’ll often be able to bet from 50 cents per hand.
While your choice of game for any bankroll size should mostly be determined by what you enjoy the most, there are some factors to consider:
- Slots: This is the biggest choice of games at all online casinos. There are versions of the live slots you know and love, plus hundreds more which are online-only. Minimum bets start at around 20 to 30 cents, which makes these games suitable for small bankroll players.
If a slot has a progressive jackpot, I recommend checking the minimum bet levels. Often, a more substantial bet is needed to be in with a shot at winning these. There are plenty of ways to win big without jackpots, e.g., via bonus games or wild symbols. I recommend saving a shot at the bigger progressives until you have built your bankroll elsewhere.
- Table games: If you are playing blackjack or roulette against the software, smaller bets are common. At many casinos, the most popular way to enjoy table games is with live dealers. These games are streamed live from a studio inside major casinos. Bets for live dealer games start at $1 per hand, making them unsuitable for tiny bankrolls. You can find smaller stakes on the software-based equivalents.
- Video poker: The smaller house edge of video poker games (assuming you know the basic strategy) keeps these games popular. You can play many variations for small stakes. Keep in mind, the volatility of “bonus poker” variations is higher than for jacks or better, making those versions better for larger bankrolls.
Can I still accept a bonus with a minimum deposit?
All regulated casinos offer bonuses for new players. Most of these are available to players that deposit minimums, though you might not be able to take full advantage of matched deposit bonuses this way.
Before you even make a deposit, look out for casinos that offer free play or free cash up front by merely registering. This is a great way to check out the real money games without taking any financial risk. All bonuses will come with playthrough requirements and a fixed duration. Making sure you read the terms and conditions will ensure you don’t fall foul of these terms.
The most popular type of welcome bonus is matched to your first deposit. Some of these are large (several hundred dollars, in some cases). For example, if you are only depositing $20, you will still get a matched bonus of $20 more. At the same time, you’d be missing out on the bonus money for larger deposits.
Free spins, tournament entries, loyalty rewards and one-off promotions will still be available to minimum deposit players.
Taking advantage of sweepstakes casinos
Outside of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, sweepstakes casinos provide legal casino gambling.
These work because they make a bet a mini-sweepstakes contest. You can’t buy chips, so instead, you buy “gold coins” (or the equivalent), which are play money chips. The sweepstakes casinos then give you “Sweeps Coins” for free to enjoy real cash prizes.
You can take advantage of these in two ways.
First, you can get a small amount of free cash just for signing up. This might only be a couple of dollars, though you never know when you’ll hit a big prize with it on a slot.
Second, sweepstakes casinos offer matched deposit bonuses. These will always cover your first deposit, though they may also cover future deposits.