NJ Lottery App, Scratch Offs and Tickets
Legalized in 1969, the New Jersey State Lottery has been operating for more than 50 years under the watchful eye of the New Jersey Department of Treasury. Since 1999, the New Jersey Lottery has also been a member of the Multi-State Lottery Association, joining 37 other US lottery jurisdictions.
Over the years, the state lottery has paid out more than $42 billion in prizes and supported the state with over $28 billion. The lottery continues to aid the state with almost a third of all yearly revenues going to beneficiaries.
Today, we’ll tell you all about the New Jersey State Lottery, including the availability of online lottery and lottery apps, lottery games you can play, their draw times, additional gambling options, and other important information.
Buy NJ lottery tickets online at Jackpocket
of Gold Coins for $10
New Jersey online lottery
The New Jersey State Lottery official website doesn’t enable buying lottery tickets online. What the website does offer is information about previous drawings, winning numbers, and a list of retailers within a 30-mile radius.
Players can also download the official New Jersey Lottery app from iTunes or Google Play and enjoy many of its advantages, including checking their ticket’s status, finding a retailer, and accessing the VIP club, among others.
Customers looking for a way to purchase lottery tickets from the comfort of their homes can do so via various third-party apps, such as Jackpocket.
How does the Jackpocket app work?
Jackpocket is a state-approved, third-party lottery app that buys lottery tickets from licensed retailers on behalf of its users. Many US jurisdictions that have not yet enabled online lottery ticket purchase, including New Jersey, have given Jackpocket the green light to provide this service to their citizens.
As we’ll see, the Jackpocket online lottery app is an entirely safe and secure way to buy lottery tickets online. On top of that, the process is straightforward and fast. Just follow the steps below:
- Download the iOS or Android app via a link on the official Jackpocket website.
- Create an account by supplying the necessary personal information.
- Once you’ve signed up, choose from a list of available games and pick a combination of numbers. Alternatively, you can use the Quick Pick feature that creates the random number combination for you.
- Watch the drawing or check the winning numbers via the app to find out if you’ve won any prizes.
Although Jackpocket is entirely online from the users’ perspective, the process does entail purchasing a physical ticket from a licensed reseller. Once you submit your details and choose a game and the desired number combination, Jackpocket will use that information to buy a physical lottery ticket and tie it to your account.
Next, Jackpocket will scan the front and the back of the ticket, and you’ll be able to access those pictures via the app. You’ll also receive the ticket purchase receipt via email.
With Jackpocket, there is nothing to worry about with regards to safety and security. The physical ticket will be kept safe in a highly-secured Jackpocket vault. Its serial number will be tied to your account and your personal information, guaranteeing that you will be the only person to cash out any winnings.
Jackpocket’s state-of-the-art app will notify you about the winning numbers as soon as the drawing is finished and let you know if you’ve won any prizes. Regular lottery players can also make use of the app’s Autoplay feature that, when enabled, automatically purchases the tickets for you, so you don’t have to worry about missing any future drawings.
In the event of any winnings, prize amounts equal to or less than $599 will be automatically added to the player’s Jackpocket account. The money can then be withdrawn or used to buy additional lottery tickets.
Prize amounts higher than $599 will have to be cashed out in person. Therefore, Jackpocket will use secure transportation to send you the paper ticket so you can use it as proof of your winnings. There are several different ways of transporting the ticket safely to you, and they mainly depend on the ticket value and your location.
It is important to note that Jackpocket does charge a small fee when you deposit money in your account. However, no fees apply to your winnings, which means that any prizes you win will be paid out to you down to the last cent.
What lottery games can I play in New Jersey?
Lottery lovers in New Jersey can currently choose between nine different lottery draw games, three of which are Multi-State draw games, also available in other jurisdictions. In addition to these, the New Jersey lottery approves 78 scratch cards in a price range from $1 to $30 and around a dozen fast play games at five various price points between $1 and $10.
New Jersey lottery multi-state draw games
Since 1999, the New Jersey Lottery has been a member of the Multi-State Lottery Association and has participated in the drawings of the games it has been offering. Multi-state draw games currently available in New Jersey include Mega Millions, Powerball, and Cash4Life.
New Jersey Mega Millions
Mega Millions is one of the most popular draw games in New Jersey. A total of 45 US jurisdictions participate in the drawings, including D.C. and the US Virgin Islands. Each game ticket costs $2 and needs to be bought at least 15 minutes before the draw.
Choose five different numbers between 1 and 70 and one Mega Ball number between 1 and 25. If you can’t think of a number combination you like, you can choose the Quick Pick option to generate the numbers for you. Put an extra dollar in to add the Megaplier feature that can multiply your non-jackpot winnings.
New Jersey ticket retailers also offer an optional $3 Just the Jackpot ticket that brings you two Quick Pick plays that participate only in the jackpot drawing. There are nine ways to win in total, but you can hit the jackpot only if you match all five numbers and the Mega Ball number.
The largest-ever Mega Millions jackpot in New Jersey was won by Richard Wahl in March 2018. The single-ticket pot amounted to a whopping $533 million.
New Jersey Mega Millions key points
- Ticket cost — $2 (+additional $1 for the Megaplier feature; $3 for the optional Just the Jackpot ticket)
- A total of nine ways to win
- The largest-ever Mega Millions jackpot won in New Jersey — $1.6 billion.
New Jersey Powerball
Powerball is another hugely popular draw game available to players in New Jersey. The total number of state lotteries participating in the draw is 44, including Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and D.C.
The ticket’s cost is the same as that of the Mega Millions ticket, only $2. You can purchase it at least one hour before the drawing starts.
To participate, pick five numbers between 1 and 69 and one Powerball number between 1 and 26. As is the case with the Mega Millions tickets, you can use the Quick Pick option if you don’t want to choose the numbers yourself. To maximize your non-jackpot winnings, add the Power Play® multiplier feature for only $1.
With nine ways to win and a relatively high probability of winning (1 in 24.9), it’s no wonder that this game enjoys such popularity. However, the odds of winning the jackpot prize are much lower since you need to match all five numbers, plus the Powerball number.
However, the NJ Lottery motto Anything can happen in Jersey™ isn’t for nothing. On May 7, 2016, the Smith family won a $429.6 million Powerball jackpot, and the largest Powerball jackpot won in New Jersey to date. However, the absolute highest amount to be won on the game is the $1.586 billion jackpot shared among the winners from California, Florida, and Tennessee in January 2016.
New Jersey Powerball key points
- Ticket cost — $2 (+ additional $1 for the optional Power Play® multiplier feature)
- A total of nine ways to win
- The largest Powerball jackpot won in New Jersey — $429.6 million
New Jersey Cash4Life
Offered by only nine US jurisdictions, Cash4Life is the least prevalent multi-state draw game available to New Jersey players. Nevertheless, for only $2 a ticket, it brings some very lucrative prizes.
For instance, the main prize brings you $1,000 a day for the rest of your life, whereas the second prize grants you $1,000 per week for life. Alternatively, you can opt to receive the prizes in bulk — $7,000,000 for the first prize and $1,000,000 for the second prize.
To participate, players need to choose five numbers from 1 to 60 and one Cash Ball number between 1 and 4. Once again, players can take advantage of the Quick Pick option that picks the numbers for them.
New Jersey is the only state participating in Cash4Life drawings that enables the Doubler feature. For just one additional dollar a ticket, you can double any eventual non-for Life prizes.
Cash4Life offers nine ways to win with prices starting at $2, which is $4 if your ticket includes the Doubler feature. To win the main prize, you must match all five numbers and the Cash Ball number.
New Jersey Cash4Life key points
- Ticket price — $2 (+ additional $1 for the Doubler feature)
- Nine ways to win
- The main prize — $1,000 a day for life or $7,000,000 one-time payment
New Jersey multi-state draw times
- Mega Millions: Drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday at 11:00 p.m., local time. Tickets can be bought 15 minutes before the drawing starts, at the latest.
- Powerball: Watch the drawings every Wednesday and Saturday at 11:00 p.m. Tickets must be purchased at least an hour before the draw.
- Cash4Life: See if you’ve won the main prize every evening from 09:00 p.m. Purchase the ticket before 08:46 p.m. for the evening drawing.
New Jersey state draw games
Although massively popular, the multi-state draw games constitute just a small part of the New Jersey Lottery offer. Let’s take a look at the other exciting lottery games you can play.
- Pick 3/Pick 4: As the name of the game itself suggests, players need to pick 3 or 4 numbers from 1 to 9 to enter the drawing or choose a Quick Pick option. Then select the amount you want to wager (from $0.5 to $5), the bet type, and the drawing time. Optionally, select the Fireball number for double the price of your ticket and get more ways to win. For an additional $1, add the Instant Match feature, and you can win up to $500 instantly. The drawings take place every day at around 1:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Jersey Cash 5: Purchase a $1 ticket and select five numbers from 1 to 45. To maximize non-jackpot prizes up to 5x, choose the Xtra feature for an additional dollar per ticket. Match three or more numbers, and any non-jackpot prizes you receive will be multiplied by the Xtra multiplier. Match only two numbers and win $2. Jackpots that are not won roll over to the next day’s prize pool. Watch Jersey Cash 5 drawings every night at around 10:57 p.m.
- Pick 6: Similar to Jersey Cash 5, the tickets for this game cost only $1. Players need to pick six numbers from 1 to 49. You can add the Xtra multiplier feature for an additional $1 per ticket to increase non-jackpot winnings if you match three, four, or five numbers. Drawings are held every Monday and Thursday at around 10:57 p.m.
- Quick Draw: Quick Draw is a New Jersey variant of Keno. To play, choose how many numbers or spots you want to play per game by picking up to ten numbers from 1 to 80. Next, select the bet amount (from $1 to $10). Select the number of consecutive draws you want. Add the Bullseye feature for bigger prizes, but keep in mind that this will double the ticket price. Drawings are held every four minutes throughout the day.
- Cash Pop: Pick between one and fifteen numbers on a single ticket. Opt for a bet amount of $1, $2, $5, or $10 per number. Match the number drawn and win the prize behind it. Prizes range from $5 to $2,500, depending on your wager. Drawings are held every 15 minutes.
New Jersey scratch tickets
In addition to a list of state and multi-state draw games, lottery players in New Jersey also have the option of buying scratch cards. There are over 70 scratch cards on the market, and you can view them all on the New Jersey Lottery official website.
What’s more, they are organized into categories according to their price, so the section is easier to navigate. You can find $1 titles such as Pocket Change and Happy Holidays that bring rewards of up to $2,000, as well as $30 cards like Ultimate Riches and Mega Bucks with potential payouts of up to $3,000,000.
Other gambling options in New Jersey
New Jersey is among the US jurisdictions that have the least restrictive gambling regulations. Therefore, in addition to the lottery, gambling enthusiasts can find many casinos, race tracks, and NJ sportsbooks.
The center of New Jersey gambling activity is Atlantic City, boasting huge casinos and casino resorts such as Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Bally’s Atlantic City, Tropicana Atlantic City, and more. Besides a vast selection of slot games available, players can also enjoy various table games, just like in Las Vegas casinos.
Most of the Atlantic City casinos also operate an NJ online gambling site.
New Jersey Lottery history
New Jersey was one of the first states to legalize lottery. In November 1969, an 81.9% majority voted in favor of a lottery, and the first tickets were sold on December 16, 1970.
It wasn’t long before the first millionaire drawing was held, breeding two New Jersey lottery winners in West Caldwell. Almost a decade later, a $1.8 million cash prize on Pick-6 Lotto went to Hillside, NJ.
In May 1999, the New Jersey Lottery finally joined the Multi-State Lottery Association. That December, the first New Jersey resident took home a $13 million jackpot on The Big Game, known today as Mega Millions.
In March 2003, the New Jersey Lottery was named one of the most efficient lotteries in the nation by the lottery efficiency study conducted by International Gaming & Wagering Business Magazines.
Among the Lottery’s many notable accomplishments, there is one that stands out. Namely, in November 2016, the New Jersey Lottery received the Level 4 Certification from the World Lottery Association. This is the top level of achievement in responsible gaming held only by a handful of other states.